The Tribune editorial page today reminds readers of the “Stroger-Daley Tax” that goes into effect on Tuesday.
(Why not the Daley-Stroger Tax? Without Daley, the tax doesn’t happen; without Stroger, it does.)
The paper includes a graphic comparing our new 10.25 percent sales tax burden to other area communities.
What the Trib didn’t do was break down the sales tax and show what our money will be funding. Fortunately, the Division Street accounting department had some free time this morning and crunched the numbers. Here’s what they found:
* Richard M. Daley Defense Fund: 3 percent
* Diversion of funds to Richard M. Daley campaign fund: 1 percent
* John Daley insurance fees: 1 percent
* Michael Daley legal fees: 1 percent
* Bill Daley sympathy fund for being the smart one: 2 percent
* Todd Stroger Friends & Family Plan: .5 percent
* Walkaround money: .5 percent
* Raise to David Axelrod: .5 percent
* Cook County Democratic Party Swiss bank account: .5 percent
* Funds to tear down the Swallow Cliff toboggan slide: .25 percent