The Sun-Times reported in a brief last week that Todd Stroger is holding a $125-a-person fundraiser this Thursday at the Hyatt Regency Chicago. I’m going to totally steal the list of names on Stroger’s fundraising committee from the S-T’s fine Cook County reporter, Steve Patterson, so we can start pointing fingers for Stroger’s coming re-election campaign and possible victory. The comments are mine.
* Former county assessor Tom Hynes. Still making up for running against Harold Washington; will also look for payback when his son, Tom, runs for whatever he runs for next.
* Investment banker John Rogers. Also a big Obama benefactor.
* Emil Jones, natch.
* Michael Madigan. Will call in favors when Lisa runs for governor
* Alds. Carrie Austin, Bill Banks, Anthony Beale, Howard Brookins, Walter Burnett, Willie Cochran, Toni Foulkes, Leslie Hairston, Michelle Harris, Lona Lane, Freddrenna Lyle, Toni Preckwinkle, Gene Schulter, Latasha Thomas, and JoAnn Thompson. Every one of them should be punished at the ballot box for putting personal loyalties and myopic political calculation above the public interest.
* Donne Trotter. Ditto for the bow-tied state senator.
* Gene Moore. The Cook County Recorder of Deeds who just won re-election in a surprising landslide. Ahem.
* Joseph Berrios. The Cook County Democratic Party Chairman. Kind of like the secretary-general of the Soviet Central Committee.
* State Reps. Marlow Colvin and Karen Yarbrough. I don’t know anything about these two except that they are guilty by association.
* Mayors Dwight Welch (Country Club Hills), Robert Donaldson (Hazel Crest), and David Webb (Markham). Yes, the Dwight Welch.
* Roland Burris. The former comptroller, attorney general and gubernatorial wannabe who now, of course, consults.
* Bill Filan. Among other insidery doings, the chairman of the well-compensated Cook County Employee Appeals Board that Rita Rezko ostensibly sits on.
* Greg Goldner. The founder of Resolute Consulting with “a passion for strategy and tactics.” A Daley-Emanuel-Blago guy.
* Manny Hoffman. The former chairman of the Cook County Republican Party butters his bread on both sides. Well, just the side that matters.