Our little corner of the world is a less joyous place today than when the weekend started. The Spindle is dead.
* “Grassroots activism lost to corporate America [Friday] night when the 50-foot Berwyn ‘Spindle,’ an eight-car kabob, was dismantled under cover of darkness. Cermak Plaza’s pop icon was taken down with a crane to make room for a proposed Walgreens.”
* “Artist Says He Was ‘Heartbroken’ To Learn of Demolition.”
* All that’s left is the base.
* State senate resolution to save the Spindle.
* I wonder if the pending pay raise for state officeholders would have been enough to save the Spindle. Somebody do the math.
* Isn’t this the sort of thing that earmarks were designed for?